I had kind of a bad day on Wednesday.
I received, not one, but TWO rejection emails from the holiday craft shows I applied for.
They’re kind of big, well-known shows (read: most lucrative) in the area that I really, really wanted to get into (and thought I had a good chance.)
Needless to say, I was disappointed and sad.
My emotional process looked like this 👇
1) DISBELIEF: First of all, I thought the notice wasn’t gonna be sent out till Friday?? Was this a mistake? Is this really happening?
2) FANTASY: Some of my friends didn’t make the cut either. And they’re all talented, amazing makers. Did the organizers make a mistake and send the wrong email to the wrong group of people?? I’m still waiting to get that “sorry-we-sent-the-wrong-email-and-you’re-actually-in” email.
3) CONFUSION: But people love my work! and I’ve been great to work with, haven’t I?? I’m so organized and responsive. WHY DID YOU NOT WANT ME?? 😭
4) NEGATIVE SPIRAL: Is this it for me? What if I don’t get in to ANY of the shows I applied for? Was it just a luck that my business seemed more successful this year? Is it all going to be down hill from here??
5) LOGIC: People DO love my work (and they tell me so!), and I’ve had great relationships with the organizers. It’s not personal. I have other opportunities and will most likely get into other shows.
6) ACCEPTANCE: Oh well. It is just what it is 🤷🏻♀️ The show must go on. What’s on my to-do list today?
I know intellectually it’s not me or that my work is bad, but it just hurts to be rejected.
I have my “You Are Enough” sticker on my laptop, and it helped 💙
As a self-care strategy, I re-watched the puppy and horse Budweiser commercial from 2014 Super Bowl and had a good cry. It’s truly soul-cleansing ✨
(I question your humanity if this bit doesn’t make you even a little emotional…🐶)
I treated myself for a delicious brownie and pretty dahlias at the farmer’s market.
I also received a copy of Retailing Insight Magazine in the afternoon, where one of my designs was featured (along with my friend, John Met Betty‘s beautiful vegan handbags!) That helped boost my confidence for sure 😊
I don’t have a profound lesson or insight for you today.
But I just wanted to share that things aren’t always great and positive.
I’ve been noticing a trend on social media where people share hard and messy stuff in life. And even without the “things-went-to-hell-but-I’m-all-better-now” hero ending sometimes, which makes a lot of people uncomfortable.
It makes me sad to see people I admire and care about struggle, but I also appreciate their realness.
It helps me feel OK with having those ups and downs in my life, too.
Even though most of the posts on social media are curated and positive, it never tells a whole story.
So I guess what I’m trying to say is, if you’re having a hard time or feeling rejected, you’re not alone.
Nobody has it all together.
We’re enough ❤️
p.s. I’m feeling a lot better after processing the feelings with friends and doing all those self-care stuff. So don’t worry!
p.p.s. I’ve got a few holiday events locked down and am waiting to hear back from a bunch more, so it’s going to be OK. I’ll let you know when I have a more solid calendar!
p.p.p.s. I’m gonna be on my 7th week mini sabbatical next week – I’ve been chipping away at my new website so I can launch it very soon. Send me good tech vibes and stay tuned 😉