I’ve been enjoying some of my friends’ #MarchMeetTheMaker challenge posts on social media.
I especially liked reading their stories – although I’m not participating in the daily challenge, I thought it would be fun to share with you some facts about me you may not know 😆
Here are 10 things you may not know about me:
1) I have an older brother who lives in Japan, and he runs a cute little cafe near my parents’ house.
He started it right after I quit my job to focus on my biz – it’s been cool to see his business thrive as well.
2) I was way into theater in my tween/teen years. I wrote, produced, and performed in several plays in middle and high school.
I loved getting into characters, hanging out with my theater friends (whom I see every time I go home), creating stories, and the thrill of acting in front of a live audience.
I don’t like being put on a spot, but give me a script, background story, and time to practice, I’m all about it 🙋🏻♀️
3) I’m a Highly Sensitive Person. In a nutshell, it means you’re wired to feel things deeply, and you may be easily overwhelmed by external (or internal) stimulations.
I consider my sensitivity to be a gift that helps me empathize with others and connect deeply with the beauty that surrounds me.
4) I’ve been meditating almost daily for the past 4 years. I usually meditate right after I wake up. I love starting my day with a quiet grounding practice.
It prepares me to face the world that’s so noisy and cluttered.
Having structure and routine is pretty important for me to thrive, and I’m not very flexible/spontaneous. So if you ask me to tea the day before (or really, less than 2 weeks notice is “short notice” for me 😬), chances are I’ll say no ☕️
6) I struggled with Orthorexia (= an unhealthy obsession with healthy eating) about 4 years ago. Thoughts on what to eat and not eat were taking over my life.
I’m a much happier/relaxed eater now and rarely slip into my old thinking any more. And when I do, I’m much more compassionate with myself 💕
7) When I turn 50, I want to live in Paris for a month 🇫🇷 I want to take French lessons and make art every day 👩🏻🎨 I’ve been putting $20 into my Paris dream account every week since I turned 41 last year.
8) I’m mostly a self-taught artist. I’d worked in a non-profit domestic violence organization for 14+ years before I became a full-time artist.
I studied graphic design while I was soul-searching about what I wanted to do with my life but realized I loved illustration much more than design after three years in the program 🐒
I don’t regret going through the program – I use the skills I learned every day in my business!
9) I majored in Women Studies (now Gender & Sexuality Studies) in college. I happened to take Gender, Race, and Class course one quarter without knowing a lot about it and got immediately hooked. It opened my eyes to the reality of the world and validated my life experience big time.
Yes, I’m a feminist.
10) I joined the Board of Directors at The NW Network, an amazing DV org serving LGBTQ community, last June. It’s been quite a learning curve to get back in the non-profit leadership work 😅 but I’m honored to be part of it!
BONUS: My sweetie Dave and I met 14 years ago on Craigslist personnel (which no longer exits.)
We had a semi-long distance relationship (he: Orcas Island, me: Seattle. About 3 hour commute one way) for 5 years before he moved to Seattle to be with me ❤️
I can go on and on with tidbits about me but this is it for now. Maybe I’ll continue next year 👋🏼
Hope you enjoyed my stories 😊
What are things that most people don’t know about you?