My assignment for the Illustration Communication class this week was to create an illustration for Bumbershoot event T-shirt! Bumbershoot is a festival of music and art that happens over the labor day weekend in Seattle. Their event posters are amazing, by the way.
I had some ideas for composition for the poster, so I did a rough comp on Photoshop just to see…
I actually liked the simple line drawings and one spot color for background, but for this assignment it made sense for the flowers to have more colors. When there is a bunch of black & white line drawings, it is hard to tell what’s going on especially if you’re not looking at it closely.
At first, I made tulips with green stems like real flowers. But then when I put a bunch of them together, it seemed too busy with the background color. And they just didn’t look very interesting to me…
Earlier in the design process even before I started drawing the tulips, I was thinking of designing a poster that looked kind of like a stained glass art. I also really enjoyed my black & white illustrations from the last assignment, so I decided to experiment…
After hours of trying out different layouts and spacing, I landed on this final design.
Since the focus of our assignment was the illustration itself, I didn’t spend too much time with the typography. I chose “Learning Curve”, which is the typeface for my company, Honeyberry Studios’ logo 🙂 I think it fits the feminine and flowy style of this poster very well, though!
I usually start my process by making rough sketches with pencil on paper.
I then made pen & ink drawings to be scanned and processed in Adobe Illustrator. I decided to place each illustration in the black circle to frame item. It gives them consistent look and helps to make the line art stand out.
As for the color illustration for the book cover, I decided to use the colored version of the spot illustrations to create a consistency of the look. I also just really liked them 🙂 I used the live paint function in Adobe Illustrator to make colored illustrations for this project.
To tie it all together on the cover, I used the same circle shape as the spot illustration in the center. As a way to give a sense of location, I made a line drawing of Mt. Rainier to place in the circle.